I thought rather than start a new thread I'd ask my question here as its in the same vein.

I need to set up a new office with 3 workstations and 3 phones. I'd like the 3 phones to share a hunt group (?) so they all ring when the main number is dialled and to have DDI numbers too using the virtual PBX.

I'm intending to connect the office to the 'net with Be, so will be using the supplied Speedtouch 716 or more probably the 780 (they supply both at the moment). As far as I can see I won't be able to use the built in VoIP functionality of the Speedtouch - so I am guessing the best solution will be to use the CLI to disable the telephony settings in the router and buy three dedicated VoIP phones. The only problem with this option is that I will be left without the PSTN fallback option of the Speedtouch? Any suggestions would be most gratefully accepted.

Can't help you with the PSTN Failover, but i can help you with the hunt group, VoIPfone does not yet support hunt groups as far as I know, but they do support basic ringing groups, so you could make all 3 extensions ring at once.

If anyone else knows better i'd be glad to hear also! :)
If you got any questions I'll be happy to help. Just don't ask me about VoIP, i know so little about that i'd bore you trying to talk about it, but we all have to learn sometime!
http://www.wellandpower.net

Given that you have to have a BT line to have Be ADSL broadband, yuo will still be able to have a POTS phone plugged into the BT line at the same time as your ADSL modem.

Simlpy set the PSTN failover divert number in your Voipfone control panel to the number of your BT line itself.

This almost defeats the object you could say, but you could use ATAs at the workstations, bring the BT line to all ATAs and use the ATAs fall back.

Is the worry about loosing ADSL or power and subsequently phones?

Phil

Unfortunately thats not possible as the POTS line terminates in a cupboard with not enough space to swing the proverbial cat and it'd require another phone even if I ran an extension (and I can't because we are being loaned the office).

I think I am probably talking myself into an asterisk setup but I am loathed to go down that road as it looks rather complex.

philco wrote:This almost defeats the object you could say, but you could use ATAs at the workstations, bring the BT line to all ATAs and use the ATAs fall back.

Is the worry about loosing ADSL or power and subsequently phones?
Phil
Sorry Phil we both posted at the same time ... I see where you are going but there are factors which I guess I should have explained that would prevent that.

The office is a glass box type affair, with 8 network ports and mains set into standard ducting. The network ports are hard wired back to a patch panel in the cupboard I mentioned earlier, which is where the BT line has been installed. As we are being loaned the office we are not permitted to make any changes to the infrastructure, so I'm trying to work within these limits.

I am slightly concerned with the overall reliability of VoIP - although I've had a VoIPfone account for some time I've only used it casually at home until now. Business is obviously a different matter, and it'd be most awkward for us if we lost all phones due to the net going down - I'm not so concerned about power failures as that would shut the office down anyway.

Having said all that - if its going to be a nightmare I think we should take the chance (just leave a phone in the cupboard for emergency calls if it all goes very wrong).

If you wanted to you could get an RJ45 to BT adapter and patch your POTS phoneline over one of the network points. I believe solwise do them www.solwise.co.uk.

Personally, when I initially set our phone system up we used PAP2 telephone adapters. I found them really easy to use and configure. Also the massive number of features and settings that can be changed gives you great flexibility. You just plug a standard phone into them and one adapter gives you two phonelines for around the £40 mark.

T

Toggo - sorry for the late reply but thats sort of what I ended up doing. In the end I went with 4 SPA941's, a single BT line for the fax machine and a Be connection. We have a good net connection @ 18Mbps/1.3 up and if bandwidth up becomes a problem then they can be upgraded to Annex M from December to give 2.5Mbps upstream (costs a fair bit more however). We ran the POTS line over the network infrastructure, connected it to the fax machine and put a red 'emergency' phone on the line in case of power / internet failure - satisfied my warped sense of humour!

The only problem I am seeing is that one extension (200) seems to fail to register 5 mins after booting, and never re-registers until I reboot it. I've swapped the handsets around and reconfigured them, but its the same extension (200) not the handset that is doing it. I'm suspecting this has something to do with the Speedtouch 780 / NAT ... most grateful if anyone has any ideas?