Port in existing landline phone WITHOUT terminiating service

Hi voipers,
I want to move my main phone number to Voipfone - the number is currently on a normal landline. Simple enough - except I don't want to cancel my existing landline because that's what I use for internet access.

The porting process only seems to work where the existing service is to be terminated.

My current landline provider has offered to renumber my landline (for a charge) but say they would then release the original number completely and it wouldn't be mine anymore. :roll:

The only way I can see around this at the moment would be to have a new landline installed with a new number, transfer my broadband to that, and then cancel/transfer the original landline to get my number over to Voipfone - see like a round-the-houses and probably pretty expensive way to go about this. There must be a better way?

Any thoughts?
Thanks,
David

Re: Port in existing landline phone WITHOUT terminiating ser

zigzak wrote:The only way I can see around this at the moment would be to have a new landline installed with a new number, transfer my broadband to that, and then cancel/transfer the original landline to get my number over to Voipfone - see like a round-the-houses and probably pretty expensive way to go about this. There must be a better way?
Sadly there is no other way.

Once a telephone number is ported away, any remaining physical line and account is immediatly closed.
For everything VoIP
www.ukvoipforums.com