Todays Fall over and lessons to be learned?

1) Today wouldn't have been quite so scary if the main website and control panel had remained up.

As such I had all sorts of thoughts running through my head, including Voipfone have gone bust - I have not only lost all my services, but all my numbers too!!
Not pleasant , but easy to imagine.

I would say that to rebuild and keep customer confidence in Voipfone the following should be implemented:
a) Separate website and nuts and bolts servers - so that if backbone collapses, communication can be kept with customers
b) Ditto control panel, so at least we can get to our settings and divert incoming calls to another service
c) Have an answer-machine message on broken lines stating 'the company you are calling has not shut down, run away or at fault, please try again in a while, watch the twitter feed or try their email
d) which bring me to twitter - I refuse to have a twitter account - but the only time I which i did was to get the fault reports.

We as a business love Voipfone, have done 12 months plus with 15 extensions, 10 lines and would say rate the service at 98% - well above how I would rate say BT.
Yet today has highlighted the danger of the 'new way' , and made me quite nervous...;-(

I look forward to some confidence building...and perhaps some compensation as we lost an hour's business as a letting agency ;-(

Re: Todays Fall over and lessons to be learned?

I have been with Voipfone since way back, 2006 if memory serves me correct....

In all that time I can honestly say I can only remember one other occasion where Voipfone went down like it did today. Back then it took them less than 20 minutes to bring everything back up. I'm not saying they have not suffered any issues such as loss of registrations in all that time because they have but on the whole they are the best of the bunch.

What took them so long today I do not know, I agree lessons need to be learnt. Phone numbers need a recorded message instructing callers that there is a fault and engineers are working to restore services... Sadly when Voipfone go down they go down it would be down to the company who provide Voipfone with the numbers to implement that service and I can't see that happening.

If any business or person honestly thinks whoever or whatever technology they go with won't at some point have a failure they are kidding themselves it's picking the one who has the least downtime at the most competitive price.

I know even though today's outage was a pain and it looked bad I will still be using Voipfone for my primary needs.
For everything VoIP
www.ukvoipforums.com

WelshPaul wrote:I have been with Voipfone since way back, 2006 if memory serves me correct....

I know even though today's outage was a pain and it looked bad I will still be using Voipfone for my primary needs.
Ha, one of my FAVOURITE things about having Voipfone is sooner or later some telecoms telemarketer slips by our receptionist and get me... I take GREAT delight in demolishing their 'superior equipment maintenance plan and calling plans' and 9/10 of them have never ever heard of voip systems.
little things ;-)

It was a bit scary that the website also went down, but at least there was Twitter.

For me this was a good example of why I switched to Voipfone from our rather long in the tooth onsite PBX system.

Our maintenance contract on the PBX system was more than I am paying all-in for Voipfone each month. That did not include lines, calls, and technical support usually involved a visit from a technician.

I was dreading the day when something went wrong with it. It would have been similar to yesterday, only instead of being fixed automatically in a couple of hours, I would have had to call out a technician and possibly wait for a replacement part. It would have involved a lot more work on my part, and would certainly not have happened so quickly.

I certainly hope an outage like this is a once every few years occurrence, but so long as it isn't regular I'm still happy with this kind of service.