Cisco 79xx Series SIP Firmware Files

***UPDATED 10/07/08***

Ok so if your reading this then you have probably purchased a Cisco 7940 / 7960 series phone from ebay but it does not have the sip firmware preloaded onto it, or maybe you just simply want to upgrade your phone from an older SIP version to the latest?

Well look no more, you can now download both old versions of the Cisco SIP firmware as well as the latest for both the 7940 / 7960 series ip phone from here!

Do you have any SIP firmware files for any of the Cisco 97xx series? If so PM me and i'll add them to the list. Remember to help others because one day you may find you need help too!

I have now created a simple guide which will help you through the steps needed in order to install the SIP firmware as well as how to configure your phone for use with the Voipfone network, it can be found here!
Last edited by WelshPaul on July 10th, 2008, 3:55 pm, edited 11 times in total.

Re: Cisco 79xx Series SIP Firmware Files

Yes! I have just brought one on Ebay! I am not a Cisco resistered customer, so how do I overcome this issue. I now need the firmware software to setup the phone. Can you help?
acoolwelshbloke wrote:Ok so you have purchased a cisco 79xx series phone probably from ebay but it does not have the sip firmware loaded onto it? or maybe you simply need the latest Sip firmware version but cannot find it on the net and cisco won't let you download it?

Well look no more, you can now download old versions of the cisco sip firmware as well as the latest for the 79xx series from here!

Solarwinds - communication with phone

hi,
I've got a 7940
i've done everything in the instructions very slowly... 3 TIMES! just to make sure.. I can get the phone TFTP server changed on handset, and ive got my config files in the root... BUT solarwinds isnt communicating with the phone? i've got it patched thru my router and i've even got the Internet Explorer to locate the phone by putting the IP address into the address bar. But Solarwinds is sat there started, but doing nothing? any one got any sugggestions?

HELP!

Ta

The ip address entered into the phone as the TFTP server should be the ip address of the PC running SolarWinds and not the routers ip. You may need to disable any firewall or set the correct permissions on the pc too.

Hi there,

I was wondering if anyone could help me, I have just bought a 7961G from eBay and initially whenever it booted it just displayed the Cisco Logo with the MAC address of the handset along with the words "Upgrading", now it seems to show the speaker light and then the 1st line light flashes orange and nothing happens. There is nothing on the screen.

Is there any way I can fix this to get the SIP firmware?

Thanks
Guy

Hi,

You need to get the SIP files (the ones available on this forum won't work as you need the 79x1 series ones not the 79x0 ones.

If you:
•Have the necessary config files/firmware binaries for your phone.
•Do not want to setup a Linux box.
•Have a Windows machine.

I would suggest the following:
•Turn off your Cisco phone.
•Create a directory on your C: drive by the name of \TFTPD.
•Put all your Cisco phone firmware and config files into C:\TFTPD.
•Get a copy of TFTPD32 from »tftpd32.jounin.net. It has a TFTPD and DHCPD server in one package.
•Turn off the DHCP server on your router.
•On your Windows box, assign a static IP address to your Windows box. You accomplish this by altering your TCP/IP properties of your network interface card. I would suggest the IP address of 192.168.1.10 , netmask of 255.255.255.0, leave the gateway blank.
•Start the TFTPD32 program.
•In the TFTPD32 program, click on the "Settings" button:
•For Base Directory, input into the text input box: C:\TFTPD.
•Ensure that "TFTP Server" and "DHCP Server" checkboxes are selected.
•TFTP Security should be set to "None".
•For "Advanced TFTP Options", ensure that "Translate Unix file names" and "Allow '\' As virtual root" are selected.
•Click the "OK" to save the settings.
•Exit TFTPD32 and restart it so it will use your new settings.
•Turn on your Cisco Phone (making sure it is plugged into the same switch as your Windows machine running the TFTPD32 program).

At this stage, your Cisco Phone should start requesting an IP address via DHCP. Your Windows machine running TFTPD32 will answer the request since you have previously disabled the DHCP service on your router.

Next, it should start to TFTP down all the firmware and configs from your Windows machine running the TFTPD32 program. Your "Tftp Server" window of the TFTPD32 program should start listing all the files the Cisco phone is grabbing.

Once your phone is back to working order, see if you can lock down all the settings for your phone. This will alleviate the need to TFTP down the configurations for your phone ever time you reboot or power-cycle the phone.

You can now exit the TFTPD32 program, enable DHCP on your router, and reconfig your Windows box to use DHCP.

Jonathan Hamon

Hi Jonathan,

Thank you so much for your help, you have managed to revive my handset!

However, I am at a loss with the configuration files as I have the firmware which is on the phone, however when it comes to uploading the correct config files onto the handset I am not sure what to do.

Could you help me to obtain and create the correct config files please?

Thanks

Guy
:)

Derby wrote:If I bought a SNOM 300 would I have to do something similar?
I wouldn't buy one from ebay for other reasons, but no, a snom 300 will only need you to run our set-up wizard here:

http://www.voipfone.co.uk/IP_Phone_Setup.php
Regards,

Voipfone Customer Services

iNet Telecoms Ltd (Voipfone)
Sovereign House
227 Marsh Wall
London
E14 9SD
United Kingdom

Registered number: 05168033
Vat Registration Number 858850966

Telephone: 020 7043 5555
Fax: 020 7043 5556

Web: http://www.voipfone.co.uk
Blog: http://www.voipfoneblog.co.uk
Forum: http://www.voipfoneuserforum.co.uk
Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/voipfone

Can I say a big thank you to acoolwelshbloke for posting these files and guide.

Because of you I managed to configure 3 CISCO 7960 phones within about 30mins, so thank you very much!

Only problem im having is that my default password on the phone was not "cisco", so im unable to currently unlock the config menu so I can manage the phone through its interface and change settings. At the moment im having to supply the settings through the TFTP mac file instead.

Any ideas how I can reset the cisco phones password. Is it a full task within its self ?

bigbadbaugh wrote:Can I say a big thank you to acoolwelshbloke for posting these files and guide.

Because of you I managed to configure 3 CISCO 7960 phones within about 30mins, so thank you very much!
Your welcome. :)
bigbadbaugh wrote:Only problem im having is that my default password on the phone was not "cisco", so im unable to currently unlock the config menu so I can manage the phone through its interface and change settings. At the moment im having to supply the settings through the TFTP mac file instead.
The default password is cisco, however when you buy these phones from ebay sometimes even though they are advertised as new they are infact used and have at some point in time had their passwords changed from the default.
bigbadbaugh wrote:Any ideas how I can reset the cisco phones password. Is it a full task within its self ?
Have no idea, i will do some research and will get back to you soon. ;)
For everything VoIP
www.ukvoipforums.com

Your not gonna believe it but carried on messing about with it before I got back to the thread.

Turns out it was set as 'password'.

Just a complete guess but tried all the usual, qwerty, 1234, admin, root, etc and 'Password' it was!

Im gonna pick up a few more of these off the bay for an office installation im doing.

They seem really good quality, speakerphone and call quality is excellent. Obviously setting them up is the hardest thing.

But I need something to work vigorously on a day to day basis in a busy office, with multiple lines, all with the same phone.

Unless you can recommened something else? What CISCO phone do you use?

Re: Cisco 7960 Series SIP Firmware Files

SETUP:
Apple Intel IMAC on CAT6 PATCHED Network with 1Tb hard disc as central shared drive for other MACS & PCs' on Network ( 03 max) plus peripherals such as Blu Ray, HDTV , Sat Box etc.

ADSL router 4 ways: patching-
1 - to 1 TB Network HARD DISC
2 - to 1,000 MPS Router - the iMac is fed by this on fixed DHCP 192.168.0.25 TFTP server here
3 - a Rackmounted Laptop
4 - THE CISCO 7960 VOIP phone DHCP 192.168.0.10

All files types as listed on this site relevant to the configuration of Cisco phone have been installed as per instructions, and amended as so too. TFTP server software insalled and activated and read/write path confirmed in the iMAC above.

Cisco Phone connected via patch pay to ADSL Router (not 1,000MBPS one) and booted up ( many times)

Consistent message that appears is: " Protocol Application Invalid"
(phone has been # and then 123456789*0# unlocked and reset to factory settings also)

I am not a computer wizard, I could REALLY do with some guidance here please, as I have lost the will after three days of set and re-setting!

Aim is to have one of these three phones in different offices throughout the world - All my associates are Apple users so once solved all sorted!

Quick Fire Q&A:
CAN I ACCESS ANY CONTROLS THROUGH THE PHONE ? NO!

IS THE PHONE AT ALL RESPONSIVE? NO!

HAVE YOU PUT IN THE PHONES OWN MAC CODE INTO THE TFTP FILES AS STATED IN OTHER USERS INSTRUCTIONS? YES

WILL YOU BE ABLE TO SUPPLY SCREEN SHOTS OF DATA? YES

CAN YOU "SEE" THE PHONE THROUGH YOUR ROUTER INTERFACE SOFTWARE? YES

DOES IT PING? YES

H E L P !!!! http://www.voipfoneuserforum.com/postin ... f=4&t=2827#

For anybody who is interested here is what i have found.

The firmware upgrade depends on the phone current version - sometimes it is necessary to upgrade to an intermediate version before getting to the latest version of firmware.

The upgrade I did was achieved by using two extra files as well as the firmware files.

These are a SIPDefault.cnf file which contains various settings as well as the file name of the .bin file you are using, and a SIP<phone mac adress>.cnf file which has sip account settings in it.

These files were created by me from a post on this forum (copy and paste into a notepad and save the notepad file as .cnf instead of .txt - not forgetting to select all files in the save as dialog box)

The phone only seems to do a firmware upgrade when it is first powered on, or after a default.

Once the required firmware is installed you can change the default settings in the .cnf flies and only those settings will be loaded in, this is because the phone compares the firmware version with its own and will only upgrade if the firmware is different to its current version.

The Cisco instructions don't really make what is required obvious at all, they do however give all the information you require.

I was converting a phone from SCCP to SIP, the upgrade process is automatic and only requires you to put the correct files for the protocol you want to install in the TFTP directory with the firmware, these files are the .cnf files mentioned above.

I spent quite a few hours getting nowhere before I decoded the information.

It seems that from version 7 and upwards the universal application loader (when the phone boots you see it on the phone screen) does the installation as per above, older versions use the "79XX" file to do the update (i had the file name in there without the .bin at the end just in case)

Hope this helps in some way.