Eyebeam Re-registration Fails Occassionally

Hi All,

Some of you might be using eyebeam and noticed that when it reregisters sometimes it fails. Now I have sent some traces to eyebeam about this problem and the responce was as follows:
Here is the answer that I received from engineering:

In reg1 the proxy sets a timer of 60 seconds for the initial (successful) registration (packets 45-46).
55 seconds later eyeBeam tries to re-register, but the proxy returns a 403 Forbidden (packet 1511).
My guess is the proxy isn't willing to accept re-registration until the full 60 seconds expire.

If he has an account we can use for a while to reproduce/test this, but I don't think we're necessarily doing anything wrong here.
Now i think they will decide that it is a bit strange and hope it will be looked at and corrected. I have also emailed voipfone about this as i thought it was maybe a little harsh that they denied reregistation that was a bit early and it should be more forgiving. I admit 5 seconds is an age in computing time, but still, it still seemed a little unforgiving.

Anyway, I have emailed voipfone with the suggestion that they alter this setting. i also asked them what the maximum reregistration time was, but they didnt come back.

I changed my eyebeam setting to 65 seconds for reregistration and it seems much better. Note that this was an intermittant issue, eyebeam does not seem to attempt this all the time but this setting seems to make it far more stable.

Of course if you are not experiencing this issue, do not alter your settings.

Charlie
If you got any questions I'll be happy to help. Just don't ask me about VoIP, i know so little about that i'd bore you trying to talk about it, but we all have to learn sometime!
http://www.wellandpower.net

Hi Charlie, I'm also trying to solve this issue with the 403 error appearing regularly but irratically through the day.

I'd like to try out your fix, but the reregister setting i have on my eyebeam/xlite is set at default 3600 seconds. Do you mean to change that setting to 60secs, or change the min. time from the default 20 secs to 60 secs.

thanks for any help.

Cheers
Paul

Hi Paul,

For voipfone, your reregister setting should be 60 seconds at all times, the reregirster of 3600 will cause problems such as this. Please change it to 60 seconds and see what happens. If you still have problems let us know.

Charlie
If you got any questions I'll be happy to help. Just don't ask me about VoIP, i know so little about that i'd bore you trying to talk about it, but we all have to learn sometime!

Still having the problem....

Counterpath are trying to talk to your engineering guys about this one... Have you heard anything on it?

If so can i have your feedback as eager to get this under control as it is a real nightmare for us!

Latest email from counterpath as follows:
Hi Charlie

Here is the answer from engineering:

I'm not sure what we can do here other than wait for Voipfone to give us some input,
The only thing we seem to be doing wrong is reregistering about 5 seconds early (the set expires to 60 but we try again after 55),
I don't think that violates anything in the RFCs though. The real problem is they eventually send a 403 forbidden.

Derek

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

From: Charlie Farrow [mailto:charlie.farrow@generating-sets.com]
Sent: Monday, February 05, 2007 8:35 AM
To: support@counterpath.com
Cc: support@counterpath.com
Subject: Re: 55 Second Reregister

Morning Derek,

Hope you are OK and had a nice weekend. Have you heard anything more from engineering about the 55 second reregister issue, its still happening and its causing phones to deregister all the time. Please see attached which is a trace of the SIP packets for the phone this morning. It was started from just after initial registration and then until the end. I've only included the SIP packets as the whole shebang was huge (actually done some work this morning).

Voipfone did say they were going to contact you about this also at some point.

I did notice that the packets for the registering are going out every 55 seconds, but sometimes VoIPfone accepts them and then it declines them. As the phone was up for about 12 mins in total, i did wonder if issue was to do with a time not resetting somewhere as 5 seconds off 12 packets would then make for an instant double registration on the 12th min if you get my point? I don't know if this is a good line of enquiry or just a coincidence.

Have engineering come up with anything yet, it is making the service unusable for us at the moment!

Charlie Farrow

So they seem to be waiting for you. Note my comments, i do wonder if this is the issue? or if it is something totally different... let us know please where you guys are at. If you want a trace sent directly to you, please let me know.

I think the 55s vs 60s re-reg issue is a red herring.

We use Snom phones extensively, and despite being set to re-reg every 60 seconds, they do it every 30 seconds - with no problem.

I think the problem must lie somewhere else ...

OK, that is very interesting i think.

So the real question is why voipfone is sending a forbidden responce back to us. The answer to this question should allow us to solve the problem I guess!

I guess the best way to find out why is to ask them.....

Can they normally tell you why if you send the the packets do you think?

First step is to capture a "pcap" packet sniffer trace from your end and send it to Voipfone. You can use the freely available "Wireshark" for this. They may be able to deduce the cause of the problem from that.

If not, you may need to run the packet sniffer at your end at the same time as Voipfone run a packet sniffer at their end. Sometimes your local modem/router will try to intervene to "help out" by rewriting SIP packets. Unfortunately this "help" can sometimes hinder ...

They can then see the packets you're sending as they're received by them.

David,

I sent Lee a Etherreal tace a couple of days ago showing all the SIP packets. I had a responce from support and they didnt mention it, but it was sent.

They have said in there last emails about the SIP packets being changed and its a possibility, but they haven't asked for a sim run of the packet sniffer yet, maybe they will soon?!

I was actually wondering if I could set up an alternative configuration to check the packets here. As I have a Interext router, where I can configure different subnets, I could route all the IP packets via the router, back to my Fedora Box acting as another router and then out using another cheap router to VoIPfone, thurs ii could capture the packets either side of the Intertex router and see what happens!

Do you think it would work?

Yep, that should do the trick.

It's not something I've been able to do with our setup here, as we're using a combined SDSL modem/router - there's been no way for me to see the other side!

I think we have solve the problem at last!

Hurray!

A good one to note when using the intertex routers. The problem was with the licencing on the router, it supported 5 SIP connections, this INCLUDES passthrough connections, not just connections using there own SIP switch.

I have 5 connections, so everything appeared fine.... except that the 2 built in ports use one each, so there is really only 3!

60 GBP on top of the cost of the router for an upgrade to allow up to 10 connections seems to have solved the issue! touchwood!!

And you were right guys,.... it was the router! Still useful for anyone else who has a intertex router.

Charlie