Mediatrix 1102

OK, after 3 days trying to get my Mediatrix 1102 (dual port sip adapter) to work with voipfone, I'm finally resorting to this forum in the hope that someone can help me out. Basically I can't get it to register. I would put it down to my Router/firewall except that my Xten softphone works OK behind the firewall (albeit there's a problem with no audio on incoming calls, but registers & makes calls fine). BB router is an SMC2804WBRP-G

I just upgraded the firmware in the Mediatrix unit in case that might help, as the firmware was 2 years old. I would like to put a protocol analyser on to see if I can figure out whats happening but don't have access to an unswitched hub. I have tried port forwarding ports 5004-5060 to the box, and also tried configuring it as a DMZ off the router. Here is what I set up in the Mediatrix box:

IP Address Source: Static
IP Address: 192.168.157.40
Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
Default Router: 192.168.157.1
Primary DNS: 205.166.226.38
Secondary DNS: 38.97.212.53
DHCP Server IP Address: 0.0.0.0

SIP Server Source: Static
Registrar Host: sip.voipfone.co.uk
Registrar Port: 5060
Proxy Host: sip.voipfone.co.uk
Proxy Port: 5060
Outbound Proxy Host: nat.voipfone.co.uk
Outbound Proxy Port: 5065

Unit Authentication
Realm: sip.voipfone.co.uk
Username: 30126701
Password: ******* (obviously checked this)

User Agent Authentication
Port 1
Realm: sip.voipfone.co.uk
Username: 30126701
Password: ******* (obviously checked this)
Port 2
Not configured

Any suggestions appreciated....

Have you tried it without the Outbound Proxy?

We have a Mediatrix 1204 (4 port FXO rather than the 2 port FXS you have), and that has the ability to set up a Syslog server. You can point the Mediatrix at a system with Syslog capability, and it will send status info (and optionally debug info) to that system.

If you have access to a Linux or UNIX box, it's trivial. If not, you could try the Kiwi Syslog Daemon for Windows - see www.kiwisyslog.com

davidgu wrote:Have you tried it without the Outbound Proxy?

We have a Mediatrix 1204 (4 port FXO rather than the 2 port FXS you have), and that has the ability to set up a Syslog server. You can point the Mediatrix at a system with Syslog capability, and it will send status info (and optionally debug info) to that system.

If you have access to a Linux or UNIX box, it's trivial. If not, you could try the Kiwi Syslog Daemon for Windows - see www.kiwisyslog.com
Yes I tried without the outbound proxy. The 1102 does have a syslog facility. I've not set it up yet but will attempt to get it going with my linux box. Cheers.

Mm... got the syslog working. It seems the Mediatrix box is not resolving DNS for some reason. The dns servers I've got in there are certainly OK as I'm using them on another PC. So.... I changed everything to IP addresses instead. Now getting "authentication failure" reported. Syslog is not very verbose, maybe need to edit some of the parameters through snmp.

Managed to get the box working. Strangely it will only work if it has been allocated an IP address via DHCP from the router. Otherwise, if you allocate the same IP address statically, it doesn't want to know. Everything else behind my firewall is on a static address, so I admit I'm baffled, but at least it works.

DHCP can also allocate other network parameters too, like DNS, default gateway and so on.

Check in the syslog report to see if what DHCP has allocated matches what you'd set statically ... maybe there's a minor difference.