I set up my first PBX today - Some questions...

Well I finally got around to setting up my fist VirtualPBX today and all was as simple as everyone said it would be :)

A couple of things I don't understand though.

For testing purposes our current PBX is modestly configured as:

2 x Snom360 Phones
1 Incoming 0845 (local call) Phone Number
2 Extensions
1 Incoming 0845 (local call) Fax Number
Call Queue
1 Virtual PBX Entension Group

Some Questions

1/ How many people can currently call our 0845 number simultaneously? We didn't want any more actual numbers but we will need sufficient "lines" on the main number to allow 6 incoming calls at a time. Is the number of simultaneous incoming calls governed by the number of extensions you buy?

2/ If I'm on a call, possibly holding for someone, can I answer another incoming call?

3/ Does the call queue service only activate if ALL extensions in the Multiple Extension Group assigned to that number are busy?

4/ Can we customise the call queue messages?

5/ If an incoming call is placed in the queue and decides not to hold, is this treated as a missed call in the same way as a call you have failed to answer? Will it appear in our missed call logs?

6/ Can I route the 0845 Fax number to another email address on our domain (basically fax@ourdomain.com)? This way I can continue our current practise of making faxes visible to all via Outlook without creating multiple copies in everyone's inbox.

7/ In the "Extension Number Set Up" What does the "BH" Checkbox for each extension do?

I'm very happy with my early VirtualPBX experiences, and the best bit is I get to run the whole thing alongside our existing ISDN2 system while I evaluate it.

Thanks,

Mark.

Ok..... here we go....

1) The number of lines is not controled by your extensions. I am not aware of a limit, although i am sure there is one. 6 is no problem. You are more likly to be limited by your bandwidth, so it depends on what connection you have.

you can use call queues if you do not have enough people to answer thurs enabling you to have many people calling you even if you only have 6 opperators.

2) Yes, that should be no problem at all. Just put the call on hold and pick up another line. Never used a Snom yet, but i would have guessed like many other phones just picking up another line puts the other call on hold.

3) I believe so, but it may be they will stay on hold until someone answrs the phone ** CAN SOMEONE ELSE CONFIRM THIS PLEASE?**

4) Not currently. I have not seen it on there development list. You cannot customise your on hold music either, yet.

5) **No Idea, not used this, Someone else please **

6) Yes, in the virtual PBX you can choose which email address your fax number send the mail to.

7) BH is for business hours and decides if the extension is govorned for business hours. ie will the phone ring after say 6pm if someone uses a DDI.

8) Oh, no number 8! Ops!

Charlie
If you got any questions I'll be happy to help. Just don't ask me about VoIP, i know so little about that i'd bore you trying to talk about it, but we all have to learn sometime!
http://www.wellandpower.net

Thanks for the answers Charlie..
wellandpower wrote:1) The number of lines is not controled by your extensions. I am not aware of a limit, although i am sure there is one. 6 is no problem. You are more likly to be limited by your bandwidth, so it depends on what connection you have.
We currently have an 8mb down Half Meg Up, but will consider a separate dedicated connection just for VOIP.
6) Yes, in the virtual PBX you can choose which email address your fax number send the mail to.
The Drop Down configuration box only appears to allow me to choose one of the email addresses linked to the voice line extensions. I don't see how to send faxes to a separate email address linked just to the Fax number.
How do I send faxes to fax@mydomain.com?
7) BH is for business hours and decides if the extension is govorned for business hours. ie will the phone ring after say 6pm if someone uses a DDI.
Of course! Business Hours!, thanks.
8) Oh, no number 8! Ops!
YET! :wink:

I wrote: How do I send faxes to fax@mydomain.com?
I still can't work out how to do this :(

I can choose an email address that is set up for any voice line or ALL, I want to send to a separate email address so I can make it visible to all users via MS Exchange "open Additional Mailboxes" without creating multiple copies of each fax.

This way it's easier to track whether it has been dealt with.

Thanks,

Mark.

There's no way to do this at present with an arbitrary email address.

We had a similar problem ... what I did was to set up an email address for our main front-office team called "reception@mydomain.com".

I then set this as the email address of the main VPBX account. It's then available as an email destination for faxes, plus when any calls that are unanswered on our main Extension Group (or which arrive outside of Business Hours) go to voicemail, it's this email address that gets the voicemail notification email.