Choosing custom extension numbers

I spoke to support about this today and it's currently not realistically possible. I thought I'd post here to see if there is much interest in it.
We have a client that we've just ported to Voipfone. They are a school, split between two sites. All staff have a school mobile phone.
It would make things nice and clear if we were able to say that extensions starting 2xx are at one site, 3xx are at the other and 4xx are staff mobiles using the voipfone softphone app. I was disappointed to discover that the only way to do this is purchase the number of extensions required in order to get us up to 299, then cancel them. The next extension that is purchased will be 300. I would then buy the required number for the second site and then again purchase the number required to get me up to 399 and then cancel those. Then I could purchase extensions for mobiles that start at 400.

This is not desirable for many reasons:
1) Additional cost to purchase something only to then cancel it. Support explained that if the purchase is made on the day before the billing date then the cost will be minimal as the fee is prorated. Still, this seems far from ideal.
2) Let's say I buy 210-299 and then cancel them - I have just discovered that, if in 6 months time I want to add five extensions from 210-214, I will need to backpay for 6 months of service that 210-214 have been 'idle'.
3) The manual work of having to click through hundreds of web checkboxes in order to cancel a service.

Am I alone in wanting to be able to choose the extension numbers that are used on the system?

Thanks

Re: Choosing custom extension numbers

Back pay for extensions that have been cancelled? Who told you that? Phone numbers, yes! A phone number sits there and is reserved for you and that costs Voipfone money, so understandable.

Anyway, I agree with you! It would be so much better if you could choose the extension number you'd like when purchasing, some other providers allow this, maybe Voipfone should add it to their to-do list? Sadly, they don't seem to be doing a whole lot when it comes to new PBX features anymore. One of the reasons I use my own PBX.
For everything VoIP
www.ukvoipforums.com

Perhaps I have read this wrong?

https://www.voipfone.co.uk/online-control-panel.php
Note that a cancelled number remains assigned to your account, in case you decide to continue using it sometime in the future. For this reason, if you renew a cancelled number, you will be charged for the time since it was cancelled. To permanently remove a number from your account, choose Delete rather than Cancel.
Now that I re-read it, I am thinking this applies to actual telephone numbers and not internal extensions? My mistake.

Regarding future development and feature requests, I found an ancient poll on here from 10 years ago where people could vote for features to be developed - is there not a current poll? I couldn't find anything.

sram wrote:
August 19th, 2018, 4:30 pm
Perhaps I have read this wrong?

https://www.voipfone.co.uk/online-control-panel.php
Note that a cancelled number remains assigned to your account, in case you decide to continue using it sometime in the future. For this reason, if you renew a cancelled number, you will be charged for the time since it was cancelled. To permanently remove a number from your account, choose Delete rather than Cancel.
Now that I re-read it, I am thinking this applies to actual telephone numbers and not internal extensions? My mistake.

Regarding future development and feature requests, I found an ancient poll on here from 10 years ago where people could vote for features to be developed - is there not a current poll? I couldn't find anything.
I have enabled extensions that were cancelled in the past and haven't been charged any back charges. I know for a fact that Voipfone will back charge you for telephone numbers that have been cancelled for the reason I pointed out in my previous post.

Anyway, Voipfone are not active on this forum and haven't been for a very long time really. You'd be better off dropping them an email or phone their customer service on 020 7043 5555 and ask them directly.
For everything VoIP
www.ukvoipforums.com